St Mirren match preview

Match Preview
St. Mirren vs. Ayr United
Irn-Bru Cup Quarter FInal

Sunday 11th November 2016 – Kick-off 12:30
On Sunday, Ayr United make the short trip to Paisley to face St. Mirren with a place in the semi-finals of the Irn-Bru Cup at stake. United will be looking to bounce back from consecutive defeats versus Morton and Hibernian.

For St. Mirren, the match is a welcome distraction from a league campaign in which they are yet to record their first win. The Buddies lie bottom of the table with 4 points from 12 games and on Saturday missed the opportunity to climb off the bottom when Dumbarton were 1-0 winners at the Paisley 2021 Stadium.

Last month, Jack Ross was appointed manager following the departure of Alex Rae.

The Buddies have reached this stage of the competition with wins at Albion Rovers and Hibernian. Last season they were beaten semi-finalists, losing out to eventual winners Rangers.

Team News: Craig Moore and Jamie Adams are out. Scott McKenna is added to the squad.

Ian says: “We have enjoyed this competition so far and it doesn’t matter what level of football you play at when you get to a quarter final you want to get further. Hopefully we will take a good support that will get right behind us.”

Head-to-Head (in Paisley):
Ayr United wins – 17
Draws – 16
St Mirren wins – 32

There have been three meetings between the sides in the Challenge Cup, with the Honest Men winning first round ties in 1992 and 2001 but losing 2-1 in the semi-final of the competition at Love Street in 1993. The Buddies were then defeated by Falkirk in the final.

Last meeting: Sunday is the third encounter between Ayr United and St. Mirren this season. Both matches have seen St. Mirren score late on: Jack Baird netted a 90th minute winner at home in the League Cup in July and the following month Tom Walsh scored an 89th minute equaliser at Somerset Park in the league. Jamie Adams had opened the scoring in the first-half.

On this day: in 1990, Ayr lost 3-2 to Dundee in the inaugural Challenge Cup Final – then titled the B&Q Centenary Cup – at Fir Park. The Honest Men scored first through Ian McAllister after 12 minutes but Billy Dodds scored a double to give Dundee a 2–1 lead; his first a penalty kick and second a header in the 72nd minute. Three minutes later David Smyth scored Ayr United’s second goal to level the match at 2–2 to force extra time but during extra time Billy Dodds scored to complete a hat-trick which was enough to Dundee lift the trophy in front of a crowd of 11,506.

Match Officials:
Referee – Crawford Allan
Assistant Referee 1 – Alan Mulvanny
Assistant Referee 2 – Graeme McNeillie
Fourth Official – Gavin Ross

Adult – £12
Concession – £6
Supporters are asked to purchase tickets from the North Stand Ticket Office prior to entering the turnstiles in the West Stand numbers 15-16