Ayr United 2 – 2 Albion Rovers

By Karen Malcolm

The Ayr United Reserves welcomed Albion Rovers Reserves to Townhead Park for their SPFL Reserve League 2 match. The teams last met in the SPFL Reserve Challenge Cup in August which ended 1-1 after full time and Ayr won 11-10 on penalties.

Both teams created a number of half chances but it was Albion Rovers who had the first real chance of the game 10 mins in when Docherty took a shot from just inside the box but was denied by a great save from Hare-Reid low to his right.

Ayr had 3 great chances in the next 10 mins with McGuffie’s shots from the edge of the box all being saved by Smith. His final shot, again from the edge of the box, hit off the underside of the cross bar but failed to cross over the line and was cleared by the Albion Rovers defender.

32 mins into the game Ayr were awarded a penalty after a hand ball by the Albion Rovers player in the penalty box. McKenzie stood up and fired the penalty into the bottom left corner of the net.

Hewitt nearly doubled the home teams lead 10 mins before half time after he took a shot from the edge of the box but it went just wide of the right hand post.

Albion Rovers grabbed a goal back 7 mins before half time when a cross into the box from Gordon was headed into the back of the net by Coleman.

The teams went in at half time with the score like being 1-1.

A min into the second half and Ayr were awarded a penalty after McGuffie was fouled in the box. McKenzie stood up to take his second penalty of the game but it goes over the bar.

3 mins later McKenzie created the first chance of the second half after he got past a number of Albion Rovers players but his shot was blocked by a fantastic save scrim Smith.

Ayr made their first change of the game 60 min in when Skeoch replaced Smith.

2 mins later Ayr came close to scoring after a corner from McGuffie went into the box and was headed towards goal by Hewitt which was saved by Smith. McKenzie and Skeoch both had a shot to try and score the rebound but the ball was eventually cleared by the Albion Rovers defender.

The clearance from the Albion Rovers defender was won by McDonald who played a ball into the box to Dolan who’s shot goes into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The visitors nearly took a two goal lead 67 mins into the game when McDonald was one on one with Hare-Reid, who he gets past and takes a shot but it is cleared off the line by Ecrepont.

Ayr levelled the score 4 mins later when a corner from McGuffie came into the box and McKenzie headed it into the net.

Ayr were forced into their second substitution of the game 77 mins in when Richardson replaced Hewitt who had been injured after he was fouled in the box. This substitution saw Baird move from centre back to right back.

5 mins later Albion Rovers made their only change of the game when Karamoko replaced goal scorer Doran. 8 mins after being subbed on Karamoko was shown a yellow card by referee Peter Stuart after a foul on McKenzie.

In the 90+1 min Ayr had the last chance of the game when a long ball was played to Skeoch who controlled it in the box but the ball was cleared by the Albion Rovers defender.

The game ended 2-2 and each team had to settle with 1 point each.

Ayr United

Hare-Reid, Hewitt, Ecrepont, Baird, Love, Miller, McGuffie, Trialist, McKenzie, Smith, Murphy Substitutes: Graham (GK), Ricahrdson, Skeoch, Goma

Albion Rovers

Smith, Moran, Guy, Coleman, Doran, McLelland, Docherty, Gordon, McDonald, Fee, Dolan Substitutes: Karamoko


Peter Stuart

Half Time

Ayr United 1 Albion Rovers 1

Full Time

Ayr United 2 Albion Rovers 2


McKenzie (33′)

Coleman (38′)

Dolan (63′)

McKenzie (71′)


60′ Smith OFF Skeoch ON (Ayr United)

77′ Hewitt OFF Richardson ON (Ayr United)

82′ Doran OFF Karamoko ON (Albion Rovers)