Reserves – Ayr United 2 Livingston 3

By AU Media

Ayr United Reserves welcomed Livingston to Townhead Park for their first home game of the 2019/20 SPFL Reserve League 2 season. Ayr had 2 of their regular starting 11 back in action with Michael Hewitt returning from a ban after being shown 2 yellow cards against Alloa late last month and Liam Miller after being injured during the Reserves last game, against Albion Rovers.

A strong Livingston, including a number of first team players, took the lead in just 7 mins when a cross into the box was headed down before being volleyed into the back of the net by Sibbald.

Hare-Reid did much to keep the score at 1-0 before, on 15 mins, Ayr gained an equaliser. McKenzie brought Ayr level, firing the ball over the line following a Smith freekick into the box.

For the next 10 mins, Ayr created several chances, with Skeoch going close numerous times, but it was Livingston that took the lead for the second time.  United were caught out as a ball was played the United defence and was fired home by C Henderson. And so it stayed until halftime.

Within 1 min of the restart, Livingston’s Pepe was shown a yellow card for a late tackle on McKenzie.

On 53 mins, Ayr made their first substitution with Miller being replaced by Connor.

Ayr continued to create chances with both substitute Connor and winger Skeoch going close to getting on the score sheet.

72 mins into the game, Livingston had another player booked for a late tackle on Ayr’s striker McKenzie, this time it was Smith who saw yellow.

Just seconds after the booking Ayr were awarded a penalty after a handball in the box by Watson. McKenzie stepped up and fired the penalty past the keeper and into the bottom right corner. 2 – 2

Livingston reacted quickly, and it only took them 5 mins to get back ahead. Tiffoney drove into the box and slotted the ball past Hare-Reid.

Both teams made immediate substitutions with Ayr’s Smith being replaced by Heaney, and Livingston’s Anderson by Queen.

8 mins from full time Livingston made another substitution, goal scorer Tiffoney replaced by Rodden. Just 4 mins after Rodden came onto the pitch, he became the 3rd Livingston player to be booked after a late tackle on Baird.

Ayr made one final substitution just before full time when one Trialist was replaced by another Trialist.

With no further scoring, the game ended Ayr United 2 Livingston 3.