Queen of the South 0 Ayr Utd 0

Queen of the South 0 v 0 Ayr United

It was another frustrating draw for The Honest Men as they were held to a 0-0 draw at Palmerston.

The home side started the stronger of the two teams and after only 6 mins they carved out their first chance. Good inter-play on the right by Lyle and Dobbie ended with Dobbie being set through one-on-one with Fleming but the United keeper was there to stop the shot.

After 15 mins Ayr had their first chance of the game as Harkins chested the ball down on the edge of the area but could only volley the ball harmlessly wide of Robinson’s goal.

Forrest was next to try his luck for United on 18 mins when he was sent into the box on the left and fired in a low shot which Robinson superbly flicked around the post. From the resultant corner Meggatt saw his header tipped onto the bar by Robinson and Cairney then half volleyed a shot just over the bar.

Ayr had yet another chance after half an hour when Harkins curled a low freekick from 20 yards out just wide of the right-hand post.

7 mins later and Boyle’s long searching ball was caught in the wind, bounced over the scampering Robinson but just cleared the bar.

On 39 mins Queens had their best chance of the game through Dobbie. Hamill’s low cross was left by Lyle and found an unmarked Dobbie in the penalty area but he rolled the ball just wide of the right-hand post.

Queens had a great chance only 2 mins into the second half when a slip in defence by Balatoni allowed Dobbie through on goal, the striker rounded Fleming but fired his shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Lyle was next to try and break the deadlock when on 51 mins he managed to get his head on a corner and directed his header straight at Fleming and the United keeper held well.

Dobbie had another good chance for the home side on 61 mins when he got behind the United defence and took a powerful volley from 25 yards out which was well saved by Fleming who palmed the ball away and Dobbie then saw his rebound blocked by Boyle.

The home side were creating the better of the chances in the second half and on 70 mins Brownlie had a header from a corner go just over the bar from close range.

Queens thought they had broken the deadlock on 87 mins when a chipped ball landed for Lyle who rounded Fleming and stroked the ball into the net but he was adjudged to have been in an offside position and the goal didn’t stand.

The last chance of the game fell to Ayr on 90 mins when McGuffie curled a freekick into the box and the ball scraped the outside of the left-hand post just as it looked as it may have sneaked into the net.

Ayr now welcome Dunfermline to Somerset next Saturday in their quest to find that winning feeling again.

Queen of the South
Robinson, Hamill, Marshall, Dowie, Brownlie, Millar, Lyle, Dobbie, Jacobs, Bell, Carmichael. Substitutes Atkinson (GK), Higgins, Anderson, Hooper, Moxon, Nelson, Fergusson.

Ayr United
Fleming, Boyle, Crawford, Gilmour, Forrest, Harkins, Cairney, Meggatt, Balatoni, Docherty, McKenna. Substitutes Hart (GK), Rose, Nisbet, Murphy, McGuffie, Wardrope, Donald.

Referee: Steven Kirkland
Attendance: 1594
Match Report: AUmedia