Hibernian 1 Ayr Utd 1

Hibernian 1 v 1 Ayr United
The Honest Men earned a morale boosting point at Easter Road in a game in which United could so easily have won. Robbie Crawford gave Ayr a sensational start with an amazing Messi like 4min goal before Cummings equalised late into the second half for the Hibees.

It was Ayr who had the first chance of the game and they took it through Crawford. The midfielder collected the ball midway inside the Hibernian half and drove into the box before weaving past 3 players and sliding the ball just underneath the arms of Laidlaw and into the net.

The home side failed to put Ayr in any real danger until 27 mins when a 25-yards curling freekick by Keatings was palmed wide by Fleming. Hibs followed this up on 31 mins when a Humphrey’s shot from the edge of the box was deflected into the path of Boyle who saw his shot from a tight angle smothered by Fleming.

Just 4 mins later Boyle was denied again by the Ayr keeper. Keatings cut the ball across to the striker but his shot was excellently blocked by Fleming.

Hibernian were beginning to put United under real pressure and on 36 mins Shinnie should have done better when he put his diving header, from a McGinn cross, well over the bar.

Ayr almost started the 2nd half as they had the first when in the first minute Crawford received the ball on the edge of the area and cut into the box but could only direct his shot over the bar from a promising position.

48 mins gone and Boyle again squandered another chance to level the game for Hibs. The striker got on the end of a Fyvie cross and his header went high and wide with the goal beckoning.

There was a moment of controversy on 50 mins when it appeared that McGregeor intentionally handled the ball inside his own box but referee Allan waved play on much to the frustration of the Ayr players.

Hibernian profligate attitude again saw them turn up the chance to equalise on 67 mins when McGregor met a loose ball inside the box but launched the ball high over the bar from close range.

On 74 mins, just when it looked like the home side would be frustrated in their attempts to breach the United defence they finally made the breakthrough. Keatings swung in a beautiful ball from the right into the box where it was met by Cummings who nodded the ball past Fleming to draw his side level.

With just 3 mins to go, Cummings came close again when he curled a shot goalwards from 20 yards but Fleming confidently palmed the ball away. From the resultant corner, Holt tried his luck with a powerful header but this was cleared off the line by Gilmour and the game finished 1-1.

On Saturday, Ayr take a from league action as they welcome Clyde to Somerset in the 5th round of the Scottish Cup.

Laidlaw, Gray, Fontaine, McGinn, Fyvie, Stevenson, Boyle, Keatings, Shinnie, McGregor, Humphrey. Substitutes Gallacher (GK), Bartley, Holt, McGeough, Graham, Cummings, Crane.

Ayr United
Fleming, Devlin, Boyle, Crawford, McDaid, Harkins, Cairney, Adams, Meggatt, Balatoni, Docherty. Substitutes Hart, Gilmour, Rose, Murphy, Forrest, Wardrope, McGuffie.

Referee: Crawford Allan
Attendance: 14349
Match Report: AUmedia