Dumbarton 2 Ayr Utd 2

The Honest Men snatched a dramatic point despite being down to ten men in a 2-2 draw at The Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium. Ross Docherty was given his marching orders midway through the first half before Stanton notched two goals for the home side in the second half. However, against all the odds, Ayr grabbed a point through a Michael Rose freekick and Craig Moore penalty in injury time.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side on 2 mins when Stirling’s initial shot was blocked and Thomson fired over the rebound from close range inside the area. On 14 mins it was Stanton causing Ayr problems again when he cut in from the right and curled a shot just wide of the post from the edge of the area.

Thomson almost broke the deadlock for the home side on 25 mins when he met a cross from the right hand side from a Smith cross however his header rebounded back off the post and the ball was cleared.

Ayr’s slow start to the game got even worse when Docherty was given his marching orders on 27 mins for a high and reckless challenge on Stirling, giving referee McKendrick no hesitation when showing the red card.

Dumbarton continued to put United under pressure and Stanton had another strike from the edge of the area which flew over the bar on 40 mins.

Into the second half and Ayr threatened the Dumbarton goal for the first time of the afternoon on 51 mins. Harkins received the ball in the box and had a shot which appeared to be blocked by the hand of a defender however the referee waved play on.

58 mins gone and Thomson was next to try his luck, this time seeing his fizzing shot from inside the box blocked by Devlin from close range.

Dumbarton finally broke the deadlock on 62 mins through Stanton. Stanton drove forward and his strike from 20 yards out hit the top right hand corner despite Fleming getting a hand on the ball.

It got from bad to worse for Ayr on 75 mins when Stanton met a loose ball inside the area after Ayr failed to clear and coolly slid the ball under Fleming into the net to put his side two head.

Ayr pulled a goal back in the first minute of injury time through Rose. After Cairney was fouled 20 yards out from goal, Rose stepped up to curl the ball into the bottom corner to give Ayr a lifeline.

Dumbarton lost the ball straight after kick off after a superb tackle by Devlin, from there Ayr played some neat one touch football before Adams burst into the box and was tumbled down by Barr. Unbelievably Ayr had won a penalty and were handed a chance to snatch a point. Moore stepped up the spot and fired the ball right into the bottom left corner despite Martin’s best efforts in what was virtually the last kick of the game to send the Ayr fans into raptures.

The big games keep coming for The Honest Men as they now welcome St Mirren to Somerset Park on Saturday.

Martin, Docherty, Buchanan, Carswell, Thomson, Stanton, Harvie, Barr, Stirling, Smith, Nade. Substitutes Ewings (GK), McCrorie, Lang, Gallagher, Fleming, Prior, Vaughan.

Ayr United
Fleming, Boyle, McDaid, Harkins, Cairney, El Alagui, Adams, Meggatt, Balatoni, Docherty. Substitutes Hart (GK), Murphy, Rose, Moore, Wardrope, McGuffie.

Referee: John McKendrick
Attendance: 1198
Match Report: AUmedia