Ayr Utd 3 Forfar Athletic 0

The Honest Men made it two wins from two in the league as they ran out comfortable winners at Somerset Park with a 3-0 victory over Forfar Athletic. First half goals from Moore and McDaid got Ayr up and running with Crawford killing the game late on in the second half.

The first chance of the game was to fall to the visitors on 16 mins. Scott broke with the ball and passed to Lister whose powerful drive was well tipped over by Hart who had to be on his toes. 2 mins later and it was the experienced defender Mensing who met a corner with a header however that was blocked inside the box by Ayr.

Ayr began to show more of the attacking prowess that had caused teams so many problems this season and carved open Forfar with their first real chance of the game on 22 mins. A long ball into the box met Moffat at the back post, he had his shot blocked by McCallum and the keeper was there again to deny Boyle the rebound to keep Ayr at bay.

Forfar were proving to be a threat at set pieces and Rose lost Travis at the back post from a corner however the defender could only direct his header well over the bar on 26 mins.

Ayr were then awarded a penalty on 32 mins after Geggan was fouled inside the box, Rose had powered a header into the net during this passage of play however the referee had already blew the whistle for the penalty to be taken. Moore stepped up and although his initial strike was well saved by McCallum the United striker was there to fire the rebound high into the net for 1-0.

Ayr had built a reputation of killing teams off in the first half and handed Forfar another blow as they doubled their lead only 4 mins later. Geggan collected the ball on the right and fired an accurate ball into the path of McDaid who blasted the ball beyond McCallum to give Ayr a quick fire double. 2-0 after 37 mins.

Forfar were desperate to find a route back into the game and created their first chance of the second half on 50 mins. A delivery into the box from Cox was met by ex-Ayr player Malone who’s low header was well saved down at the bottom right corner by Hart.

McGuffie almost increased Ayr’s advantage after neat play on the edge of the box with a driven shot that was tipped over the bar by McCallum on 58 mins.

3 mins later and Forfar almost landed themselves a vital goal when Lister met a ball at the front post however his flicked shot was met by Higgins on the line who kept his cool to clear the ball to safety.

Ayr killed the game off on 80 mins when Crawford got himself on the scoresheet – rounding off an impressive performance from the midfielder. A neat one two on the left with Forrest allowed the midfielder space to run into with the ball and drove forward into the box and poked the ball under McCallum for 3-0.

The final chance of the game fell to Crawford on 85 mins when Forrest collected the ball on the right and looped a ball to the back post for Crawford whose header from point blank range flashed just wide.

Ayr sit top of the league after two games and now travel to Ochilview to play East Stirlingshire in The Challenge Cup on Wednesday evening.

Ayr United
Hart, Higgins, Boyle, Rose, Geggan, Moffat, Crawford, Moore, McDaid, McGuffie, Docherty. Substitutes Avci (GK), Gilmour, Forrest, Ferguson, Faulds, Murphy, Reid.

Forfar Athletic
McCallum, Bain, Quigley, Malone, Travis, Mensing, Cox, Millar, Lister, Easton, Scott. Substitutes King (GK), See, McBride, Munro, Aitken, Warwick, Kennedy.

Referee: David Lowe
Attendance: 1399
Match Report: AUmedia