Ayr Utd 1 St Mirren 1

Ayr United 1 v 1 St. Mirren

Ayr were left disappointed despite claiming their first point of the Championship campaign as a late St Mirren equaliser denied them all 3 points. Jamie Adams nodded United in front early in the first half however his goal was cancelled out by an 88 min Tom Walsh header as Ayr looked to be heading for a vital first win.

Gaffer Ian McCall made 2 changes to the side that were defeated at Tannadice as Gilmour and Meggatt came in for Forrest and Crawford.

The game started off brightly for United and after only 2 mins had their first chance as Adams’ header from close range was blocked by Baird as it looked to be goal bound.

It wasn’t long before Ayr’s pressure paid off and in 14 mins they opened the scoring through Adams. Gilmour whipped in a freekick from the left and it was met by the towering Adams who out-jumped both Sutton and Baird at the back post to nod home. A deserved 1-0 lead for the Honest Men.

This goal seemed to awaken the away side but it took them until the 23rd min to create their first chance. Sutton picked up a long cross at the back post and delivered the ball back into the centre of the box where the ball was met first time by Clarkson but his effort went wide of the left hand post.

Ayr continued to cause St Mirren problems with Nisbet looking sharp up front. The youthful striker almost put Ayr further ahead after he controlled the ball, went past Webster at the edge of the box but his shot grazed the crossbar and over.

As the half-time whistle neared, the away side almost drew themselves as Clarkson found space but his powerful strike was blocked inside the box by Meggatt to maintain Ayr’s lead.

St Mirren started the better of the two teams in the second half and an early Hardie header was well saved by Fleming at his near post. Hardie then found himself through one on one with Fleming but Murphy managed to get a boot on the ball preventing a shot on goal.

66 minutes gone and St Mirren continued to press and this time had a chance through Clarkson. Walsh’s cross on the left was met by Clarkson who glanced a header goal-ward however it fell just past the post. Mallan was next to try his luck but his shot from 20 yards out was comfortably saved by Fleming.

In the dying minutes of the game, Ayr looked to have done enough to get the 3 points but were handed a bitter blow. A long throw on the right was allowed to bounce in the box and Walsh ghosted in at the back post to head home the equaliser after 88 minutes.

One minute later it almost went from bad to worse for Ayr as Sutton found himself one-on-one with Fleming. The keeper somehow managed to save his shot from point blank range to prevent St Mirren from claiming a winner.

Ayr broke immediately and Forrest raced down the wing before delivering sublime cross onto the 6-yard line but Harkins failed to reach the ball by a matter of inches and time ran out for the Honest Men.

Ultimately Ayr were left disappointed to take only one point from the game but can take many positives from this match. Ayr now take a rest from league action as they welcome Airdrieonians to Somerset Park in the Irn-Bru Cup next Sunday.

Ayr United
Fleming, Boyle, Meggatt, Murphy, Devlin, Docherty, Adams, Cairney, Gilmour, Harkins, Nisbet. Substitutes: Hart (GK), Rose, Forrest, Crawford, O’Connell, Thomas, McGuffie.

St Mirren
Gallagher, Naismith, Baird, Webster, Irvine, Stewart, Mallan, Hutton, Hardie, Sutton, Clarkson. Substitutes: Langfield (GK), Gordon, Walsh, Mclear, Shankland, Whyte, McDonald.

Referee: Crawford Allan
Attendance: 2,165
Match Report: AUmedia