Ayr Utd 1 Peterhead 1

Ayr United 1 – 1 Peterhead

Following back to back away victories against Dunfermline and Airdrie, League One table toppers Ayr United welcomed Peterhead to Somerset Park hoping to continue their recent form. Ian McCall made two changed to the side that overcame Airdrie as Robbie Crawford and Alan Trouten were restored to the starting line up in place of Alan Forrest and the injured, Jamie Adams. Peterhead came into the game on the back of a defeat away to league strugglers, Brechin City and were be looking to bounce back against United.

Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges as both teams struggled to create clear cut opportunities. The first effort in anger came from Ayr United’s Jordan Preston as he fired an effort over the bar following Craig Moore’s clever knock down.

Ayr then had skipper Nicky Devlin to thank for the scores remaining level as he brilliantly blocked Nicky Riley’s effort just as it looked like the visitors would take the lead.
The last chance of the half fell to Peterhead’s talisman, McAllister. The striker got on the end of a long ball in the box before delicately flicking the ball over the head of the Peter Murphy. However, the striker would be disappointed to watch his attempted lob drop wide of the target, when he should have given his side the advantage.

A fairly dull first half ended goalless and both teams were looking to up the ante in the second half. With 54 minutes gone, it was Ayr who took the lead. Graeme Smith superbly tipped a Craig Moore volley over the bar but from the resultant corner Devlin ran into space and headed in from around 8 yards.

Ayr then took the upper hand and had a strong shout for penalty. Pacey striker, Preston drove into the box before unleashing a shot that appeared to the masses to be blocked by a hand but referee Stephen Finnie dismiss the appeals and pointed for a corner.
The Blue Toon then had a goal chopped off for offside as Leighton McIntosh thought he had equalised – only to see the assistant’s flag raised – a controversial call from the far side official. The away side then started to take the ascendency and only a point black save from Greg Fleming denied them a leveller.

With just four minutes remaining, Peterhead got their just rewards as Jamie Redman rose highest to power home a header. A crushing blow for United, who were within touching distance of a valuable three points.

And 1-1 it finished with both teams feeling that they could have performed better but in the end a draw fitted the pattern of the game as chances were few and far between. Ayr remain at the top of league ahead of the visit of Cowdenbeath, next Saturday afternoon.

Ayr United
Fleming, Devlin, Boyle, Docherty, McLauchlan, Murphy, Gilmour, Crawford, Preston, Moore, Trouten Substitutes: Graham, Donald, Forrest, Caldwell, Muir, McCracken, Newman (GK)

Smith, Kerr, Noble, Ferry, Gilchrist, Strachan, Stevenson, Redman, McAllister, Sutherland, Riley Substitutes: Blockley, Dzierzawski, McIntosh, Ferries, Brown, Rodgers, Jarvie (GK)

Referee: Stephen Finnie
Attendance: 1,304

Report: AUmedia