Ayr Utd 1 Morton 4

Ayr United 1 v 4 Morton

It was a bad day at the office for The Honest Men as they slumped to a 4-1 defeat at home to Morton. First half goals from Forbes (x2) and Oliver gave Morton a substantial lead before Adams replied for United. Oliver completed the scoring in the second half to cap off a dismal day for United.

After 3 mins it was Forbes who drew the first save of the game when he cut in from the right and curled a shot goal-wards from 20 yards out which was palmed away Fleming.

7 mins gone and Ayr had their first chance of the game through Moore. Crawford set Moore through in midfield and he could only clip the ball over the bar from the edge of the area.

It was Morton who made the breakthrough on 11 mins. Forbes collected the ball on the right and as Ayr failed to close the midfielder down, he curled a ball into net from 25 yards out. 0-1.

7 mins later and it got even worse for Ayr as Forbes doubled their lead. Good football by Morton resulted in Oliver laying the ball off to Forbes in the box whose downward shot bounced and looped over Fleming into the net. 0-2 after only 18 mins.

Ayr attempted to respond only 2 mins later when Devlin broke into the box on the right but his shot from a tight angle was blocked by O’Ware. Meggatt then saw his shot from 25 yards collected by Gaston with relative ease.

On 26 mins Ayr had another chance to get back into the game when Harkins fired a shot just over the bar from 25 yards out.

It got from bad to worse for Ayr on 30 mins when Morton added a third. Oliver collected the ball on the edge of the area before beating Balatoni and putting the ball into the bottom corner. 0-3.

Again, Ayr attempted to respond and 3 mins later they had a chance through Moore. Harkins launched a ball into the box which was headed across goal by Adams and met by Moore who fired over from 8 yards out.

Ayr finally got their name on the scoresheet on 35 mins through Adams. Good football on the right by Ayr resulted in Devlin sliding the ball through to Adams in the box and he poked the ball home to give Ayr a lifeline. 1-3.

Right on halftime and Ayr almost pulled back another goal when Harkins’ shot from 20 yards out was superbly turned around the post by Gaston.

Into the second half and Kilday was next to try his luck for Morton. A loose ball landed at the big defender in the box and his speculative overhead kick went just over the bar from close range.

53 mins gone and a Harkins header Devlin’s cross went straight into keeper Gaston’s arms.

Just as United appeared to be taking a greater hold on the play Morton added a fourth on 64 mins to deny Ayr any hopes of a comeback. Doyle’s cross from the right was met by Oliver in the centre of the box and he managed to bundle the ball home. 1-4.

Ayr looked to get another goal on the scoresheet and came close on 71 mins. Adams header from a corner was inches away from being poked home by Meggatt at the back post but he couldn’t connect with the ball.

On 82 mins Ayr substitute McGuffie took a shot from the edge of the area which curled just wide of the right-hand post. 3 mins later and the youngster had another shot deflected over the bar inside the area.

McGuffie also had the final effort of the game on 87 mins when he cut into the box and had a strike which was straight down the throat of Gaston.

Ayr now travel to league leaders Hibernian next Saturday as they attempt to repeat the heroics of their last trip to Easter Road.

Ayr United
Fleming, Devlin, Rose, Adams, Crawford, Moore, Harkins, Cairney, Balatoni, Meggatt, McKenna. Substitutes: Hart (GK), Boyle, Murphy, Forrest, Gilmour, Wardrope, McGuffie.

Gaston, Kilday, O’Ware, Doyle, Oliver, Forbes, Lamie, Nesbitt, Tidser, Murdoch, Shankland. Substitutes: McGowan (GK), Russell, McDonagh, Scullion, Tiffoney, Strapp.

Referee: Don Robertson
Attendance: 1576
Match Report: AUmedia