Ayr Utd 1 Clyde 1

Ayr United 1 v 1 Clyde

The Honest Men are to do it the hard way if they are to progress to the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup (against either Hearts or Hibs) after being held to a 1-1 draw by Clyde at Somerset. Ex-Ayr man David Gormley gave Clyde and early second half lead before Paul Cairney levelled for United.

Ayr created their first chance of the game after only 3 mins. Cairney passed the ball to Harkins on the edge of the area who created himself space before curling a shot towards the bottom corner which was turned around the post by Quinn.

After 7 mins Clyde had their first effort on goal through Gormley. The striker picked the ball up from 40 yards out and at Peter an audacious lob which was dealt with comfortable by Fleming.

On 25 mins, it was McDaid who was next to try his luck. McDaid picked the ball up on the right and curled a shot from the edge of the area which was superbly caught in mid-air by Quinn.

Clyde had another chance of their own on 27 mins when Murphy mis-read the flight of the ball allowing McDonald a shot on goal from the edge of the area however it went wide of the left-hand post.

31 mins gone and McDaid had another chance to break the deadlock. Harkins’ chipped ball into the box was met by McDaid who’s flick on the ball was diverted wide by Quinn from close range.

Ayr continued to press and on 37 mins came inches away from taking the lead. McGuffie picked the ball up on the edge of the area and saw his fierce shot palmed away my Quinn. Devlin then received the ball on the right and saw his deflected shot rebound off the right-hand post and run along the goal line, inches away from being tapped home.

Ayr’s final chance of the half came on 40 mins when McDaid broke through, one on one with the keeper, but saw his shot saved by Quinn when cutting the ball back to the unmarked McGuffie seemed the better option.

Ayr had the first chance of the second half when Gilmour met the ball on the edge of the area and volleyed wide of the left-hand post on 52 mins.

Ayr were made to pay for their missed chances when Gormley opened the scoring on 55 mins. Johnstone’s initial shot on the edge of the area was blocked before McDonald cut the ball across to Gormley who was free on the left and coolly slotted the ball into the net.

Ayr attempted to respond quickly and on 58 mins Balatoni met a lobbed ball by McDaid however his backwards header went over the bar from close range.

Against the run of play it almost got worse for Ayr on 66 mins when Cairney lost the ball away in midfield to Higgins who took a low drive towards goal which smacked back off the post.

Ayr finally got their name on the scoresheet on 69 mins. A Gilmour corner wasn’t cleared by Quinn and it fell to Cairney who smashed the ball home despite the best efforts from the keeper to keep it out.

2 mins later and Docherty had an effort on goal from the edge of the area however it went harmlessly over the bar. Minutes later a Meggatt header flashed just wide of the left-hand post.

On 87 mins Ayr had yet another good chance to snatch the win when Forrest met the ball inside the area but could only scoop the ball over the bar.

On 88 mins Ayr looked to have sealed victory had it not been for the heroics of Quinn in the Clyde goal yet again. McDaid’s knock on inside the area was met by Cairney who, from the penalty spot, curled a shot which looked destined for the net but for Quinn’s instant reaction and gymnastic dive.

Ayr now travel to Broadwood on Tuesday evening as they attempt to reach the quarter finals for the first time in 5 years.

Ayr United
Fleming, Boyle, Adams, McDaid, Harkins, Cairney, McGuffie, Balatoni, Docherty, Meggatt. Substitutes Hart (GK), Gilmour, Rose, Murphy, Forrest, Wardrope, McKenna.

Quinn, Johnston, McNiff, Smith, McNeil, J McMillan, McLaughlin, Higgins, Gormley, MacDonald, S Ferguson. Substitutes M McMillan (GK), Perry, Flynn, McGovern, Linton, Davidson, Millar.

Referee: Stephen Finnie
Attendance: 1554
Match Report: AUmedia