Ayr Utd 0 Albion Rovers 1

Ayr United fell to another disappointing 1-0 defeat this time at home to Albion Rovers. A second half volley from Mick Dunlop was enough to earn the Coatbridge side the vital 3 points they need for their play off push. Ayr however failed to impress in a game in which Ian McCall was absent from the dugout due to illness.

Ayr made 2 changes to the starting line up from last week as Craig Moore came in for Jordan Preston and Alan Forrest replaced Mick Wardrope.

The Home side started the game slowly and were given a warning sign after only 1 minute. A freekick from the left by Gary Fisher found Ally Love in the box however from only 5 yards out the Rovers’ winger could only direct the shot straight at Fleming.

Ayr responded to this and 2 minutes later had their first significant chance of the game also. Alan Trouten swung in a corner from the right and it was flicked on by Nicky Devlin, Albion failed to clear the loose ball and it landed to Ross McCrorie however he could only fire his shot straight at the keeper from close range.

Craig Moore was next to test the keeper after 10 minutes as he collected the ball on the edge of the box and his fierce drive had to be well saved Ross Stewart who was doing well to keep Ayr out in the opening stages. 5 minutes later and Ayr almost found themselves ahead through a touch of good fortune as Docherty set Donald through into the box and his cutback was deflected onto the post.

After 30 minutes Ayr had another chance when good passing play on the left hand side resulted in Stevenson crossing the ball into the box and it landed to Devlin who cut it back to Trouten however he fired over the bar.

1 minute later and Albion had a great chance. Ally Love swung in a corner and Mick Dunlop flicked on the loose ball however his effort was cleared off the line by Stevenson.

Ayr created their best chance of the game just before halftime as Moore’s pass set Forrest through one on one but Stewart was there to smother his shot. Forrest then seemed to be fouled for a definite penalty however referee Duncan deemed it as a dive and Forrest was booked.

Ayr were slow to start in the second half also as Albion broke on the 47th minute as Archibald set Scott McBride through on goal however his shot was well saved by Fleming from 10 yards out.

Moore had another chance after 60 minutes after some neat dribbling allowed him into the box however his powerful strike was straight into the side netting.

72 minutes on the clock and Albion broke the deadlock through defender Mick Dunlop. A freekick was swung in by Fisher and Davidson cushioned the ball off inside the box for Dunlop who’s volley deflected off Andy Graham in off the bar to give the away side the lead.

Ayr huffed and puffed for the remaining 18 minutes however failed to create any chances of note as Albion held out for the win. In what was a disappointing performance, United will be hoping to bounce back and build some confidence going into the play offs.

Ayr now travel to Stenhousemuir next Saturday.

Ayr United
Fleming, Devlin, Donald, Murphy, Graham, Docherty, Stevenson, McCrorie, Moore, Trouten, Forrest Substitutes Newman (GK), McLauchlan, Wardrope, Crawford, McGuffie, Preston, Hodge.

Albion Rovers
Stewart, Reid, Turnbull, Fisher, R. Dunlop, M. Dunlop, Georgiev, Davidson, Archibald, McBride, Love Substitutes Lochead (GK), Ferry, Young, Talu, Kerjean.

Referee: Gavin Duncan
Attendance: 1044
Match Report: AUmedia