Reserves – Ayr 3 East Kilbride 0

By AU Media

On Tuesday evening, Ayr United Reserves welcomed East Kilbride Reserves to Somerset Park in the SPFL Reserve League 2. The Reserves went into the game having only lost 1 competitive game so far this season.

It only took Ayr 8 mins to take the lead after Miller played a cross into the box to the back post and Hewitt put it in the back of the net.

Ayr doubled their lead 9 mins later when Thorburn drove down the left wing and cut the ball back in the box and to Murphy who tapped the ball home.

Both teams had a couple of chances, but Ayr went in at half-time with a 2-0 lead over their visitors.

Ayr were forced into an early substitution 5 mins into the second half with the injured Thorburn (later diagnosed as having a broken fibula) replaced by Smith.

On 54 mins, the first yellow card of the game was shown to Ayr’s McKenzie after a late tackle on Clark.  Another late tackle on 60 mins, this time by East Kilbride’s Henry on Love, also led to the yellow card being brought out by Referee Wilson.

Ayr stepped up the pressure and went close on several occasions. First, a McKenzie volley flashed over the bar and shortly after an Ecrepont cross into the box was met by the striker again, but his shot took a deflection before being stopped near the goal line. Equally unlucky were both Ecrepont and Murphy whose shots from distance went close.

East Kilbride weren’t without their chances and went closest on 70 mins when McAvoy took a shot from distance but was denied by a fantastic save from Hare-Reid at his top left corner.

Ayr made a double substitution a minute later when Goma and Connor replaced Skeoch and Trialist. East Kilbride also made a double substitution 2 mins later when Trialist No 16 and Boyce replaced Armstrong and Connor. In the same minute, East Kilbride’s McLaughlin was shown a yellow card for a late tackle on Murphy.

78 mins into the game and Ayr gave themselves an even bigger lead when Smith took a free-kick from 40 yards out on the left side of the pitch which drifted into the box and the bottom right corner of the net.

At full time it remained at 3 – 0 and Ayr had gained all 3 points, meaning that they had moved up to 3rd in the table.

The Reserves are next in action on Tuesday 5th November when they welcome Albion Rovers to Townhead Park, Cumnock in the SPFL Reserve League 2. Kick-off is at 8 pm.