Albion Rovers 1 Ayr Utd 5

Report by AUmedia

Backed by 465 Honest Men, Ayr picked up in the league where they left off in the Betfred Cup with an emphatic 5 -1 win over Albion Rovers. Craig Moore bagged a hattrick and with goals from Moffat and McDaid it proved to be yet another ruthless display from the Honest Men. Shields, however, bagged a late consolation for Rovers.

It was yet another early goal for Ayr, scoring after only 2 mins. Moffat received a long ball on the right and drove forward into the box before passing to McDaid. The winger then took a touch before firing low past Bowman and give Ayr a dream start.

Moore then saw a header at the back post go wide on 10 mins before Albion had their first chance of the game when Victoria beat Reid before seeing his shot blocked.

Ayr were then dealt a blow when Adams was forced off, suffering from a fractured cheekbone in four places, a broken nose and fractured eye socket when Rover centre half, Perry, came in late and headered the United man in the face. To add insult to injury, referee Graham Beaton, did not deem this challenge as dangerous and the Rovers’ man can think himself lucky not to have been issued with at least a yellow card.

On 21 mins Ayr fans were baying for blood after a horrendous tackle by Rover’s right back Reid on Robbie Crawford only merited a yellow card in the referees’ opinion. With Crawford wide on the left near the halfway line, Reid launched himself forward and over the ball, his leading leg straight and his studs making hard contact with the United midfielder’s lower shin.

Ayr’s next real chance of the game fell to Moffat on 27 mins when the striker was set through one-on-one with keeper Bowman who did well to get down and block the shot.

Moffat wouldn’t be denied for long and pencilled himself onto the scoresheet on 34 mins after neat link up play with Moore. Moore received the ball and flicked it beyond the defence and into the path of Moffat who side-stepped the defender and slotted into the bottom left hand corner to give Ayr breathing space at 0-2.

The Honest Men have shown no signs of mercy this season and this game was no different as they made it 0-3 after only 39 mins. Moffat pounced upon a mistake in the Rovers defence and latched onto a loose ball before rounding Bowman and cutting the ball across to Moore who had the simplest of tasks to tap in at the back post.

Albion were determined to make more of a game of it in the second half and had a chance to pull a goal back on 55 mins when Victoria managed to dribble his way inside the area but saw his shot blocked. Defender Reid for Albion then had a header at the back post on 67 mins that went well over the bar from a promising position.

Former Ayr skipper Scotty McLaughlin appeared to have won a penalty for the Coatbridge side as he forced his way into the penalty spot and looked to have been clipped but yet again the referee saw nothing.

Ayr continued to be an attacking threat and earned themselves a penalty on 70 mins when Moffat pounced upon a slack back pass before keeper Bowman was adjudged to have brought him down. Craig Moore stepped up and slammed the ball down the middle to increase Ayr’s lead in front of the healthy band of Ayr supporters.

On 74 mins, Albion substitute Shields had a glorious chance for a consolation counter when he broke away, out-paced Boyle and unleashed a drive which flashed across the face of goal.

United showed no signs of letting up and they bagged their fifth goal of the game with Moore earning his hat-trick on 79 mins. Substitute Forrest dribbled the ball down to the byline and cut it back to Moore who again slammed the ball into the middle of the net. It was another five-star performance for Ayr in front of goal.

The home side were eventually to get their consolation when Shields fired high into the net from inside the area as Ayr switched off momentarily in defence. With the final whistle blown, it finished Albion Rovers 1 v 5 Ayr United. Another five-star performance for Ayr in front of goal.
ALBION ROVERS – Bowman, Reid, McLaughlin, Marr, Perry, Holmes, Fisher, Davidson, Victoria, Higgins, Trouten. Substitutes Lightbody, Hopkins, Sheilds, Gallagher, McMillan, McManus, O’Kane.

AYR UNITED – Hart, Higgins, Boyle, Geggan, Moffat, Crawford, Moore, McDaid, Adams, Docherty, Reid. Substitutes Avci (GK), Gilmour, Rose, Forrest, McGuffie, Ferguson, Murphy.
Referee: Graham Beaton
Attendance: 830 (465 Ayr fans)